Friday, August 15, 2008

Rzewski and piano

I ran across this image, and was reminded of the fabulous concert we went to where we had the immense privilege of seeing Frederic Rzewski perform his own piece, as well as Stephen Drury play piano with him.


I have been going through another phase where I listen to The People United Will Never Be Defeated, a gargantuan, 50 minute piano piece by Rzewski. The piece goes down without a doubt as my favorite slice of music of 2008.

Fiercely difficult, I have been playing the piano more, and use parts of this piece as warm up and a break from the main piece I have been practicing, Chopin's "Ocean" Etude, op. 25 no. 12. I continue making very slow progress on The People United -- more a passing interest than something I'm actively working on. But one of the days, when my chops are a little higher, it will be tackled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm glad to hear that the piano isn't just something from the past for you. That's what happened to me, I think party because I was self-taught. Whatever talent I had was always mitigated by that, and I never wanted to go through the effort to re-learn.

But you were always incredibly gifted and well trained! You should do some "Music Reviews" like I do on my blog of some good piano composers that we all might not be aware of.

Cheers!