Saturday, September 13, 2008

Trip to Pennsylvania

Hi everyone! We made a day trip to Pennsylvania today, hoping to accomplish four things:
  1. Get a refrigerator magnet from Intercourse, PA (you know, I heart Intercourse)
  2. In Philadelphia, see:
    1. The Liberty Bell
    2. The Rocky Balboa statue
    3. Get an authentic cheesesteak sandwich
I'm happy to say: Mission Accomplished!

First stop was to Intercourse. This is in the middle of Amish country, and I had never been there. While for some reason I had assumed they would be living out in the sticks away from civilization, they were right there in town and driving carriages along the road. I found this extremely entertaining!





Watch for carriage crossing! LOL


This is what I call a riding lawnmower!!


A few shots of the gorgeous landscape:








Taking in a few shops in Intercourse:




We then headed out to Philadelphia. I have to say, ahead of time, I was having a hard time getting excited about Philly. I just didn't know what to expect. I was utterly shocked at the energy and vibe the town had! It took me completely by surprise. More on that later, our first stop was the Rocky statue. Both Kristal and I are avid Rocky fans, and this was a must-see. Unfortunately we couldn't find any parking and there was an Indian festival in the park next to the museum so it was a zoo down there. We had to settle for a drive-by:


Next we went to the Historic district (Market St.) in search of the Liberty Bell. Initially, we couldn't find it, and actually stumbled across it on accident! It is housed inside a small building lined with glass. Upon first seeing this historic relic, I uttered a statement that I'm sure millions have before me on seeing the famed Liberty Bell -- "That's it??"

OK so it's smaller than I had anticipated. And we couldn't see the crack. Besides that, it was pretty cool to be in the presence of an icon like this. A few other shots from the historic district:












Even though it's blurry, I thought this was a great shot of Kristal so wanted to post it:


We then walked down to South St. which is the hip, more "bohemian" (as described on Wikipedia) area of town. Betsy encouraged us to visit this area for some good cheesesteaks. This was the area that blew me away. I couldn't believe the edge of this area! Small shops of all sorts, tons of people out, music playing loudly, just a really high-energy area of town. And this, coming from me who has spent my fair share of time in New York City!

We didn't get any pics of this area. We waited in line at Jims Steaks for 20 minutes to get our cheesesteaks, we had the dog which was adding all sorts of stress, and we weren't going to do any shopping anyways, so we grabbed our sandwiches and headed back to the historic area to a park to eat in peace. Here's me with a surprisingly contorted and exhausting look on my face, I must be "evaluating" the sandwich or something..


The disappointment was that Kristal and I didn't actually have cheesesteak sandwiches. See, I took for granted that when you order a cheesesteak sandwich from a cheesesteak place, the "cheese" part of that is a given. So when I ordered Kris and I "Pepper Steaks" and the boys "Steaks with just cheese" I thought I was being clear. No. THEY were being more literal than me -- our Pepper steaks had meat and peppers. The boys had Steak and cheese. Go figure! They were still good, and I snagged a few bites from Miles' that I was satisfied.

On full stomachs we headed back home. Turns out it's only an hour and a half from Hoboken to Philly, and only another 45 minutes to Delaware. As much as we would all love to visit again, especially because it's so close, our weekends are quickly coming to an end, so we'll probably not make it. But we're really glad we were able to make this quick trip anyways.

2 comments:

Shar said...

Thanks for the commentary. You guys are so much fun. I will say nothing about Intercourse that has already been said. Beautiful country.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great time. I'm glad you are getting to see so much of the east coast and sharing the pictures with us. Tell the boys hi and can't wait until everyone in on the west coast. love you all mom